Saturday, March 14, 2009

A day in the life of a Raptor

Over the years I have enjoyed visiting nesting raptors. Eagles, falcons, osprey all are being spied upon by web cams. Fortunately they do not seem to mind. I thought I would share some of my favorite Raptor Web Cams with you. Please note that I have saved images from the cams and uploaded them from my computer, so not to take bandwidth from the sites.

These are two fluffy eagle hatchlings from Cambridge, Massachusetts.


The same site has an osprey cam, but as of today there is no activity.

The Sutton Center Bald Eagle Nest Cam originates in Oklahoma. There are two cameras on the nest giving a great view of the activity. As of today there are 3 eggs in the nest. It can take a few seconds for the web cam to load, so please be patient.

In downtown Portland, Oregon there is a Red Tail Hawk with a nest in a fire escape

An Eagle cam is located on the campus of The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services' National Conservation Training Center located in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, along the Potomac River. I could not get the streaming cam to load, so the link is to the still camera that uploads a new image every 15 seconds.

Three eggs are in the nest of an Osprey located at Hilton Head, SC. The picture quality isn't that great. It is a still picture uploaded every 5 seconds.

Two Great Horned Owls are nesting in a man-made nest in central New Mexico. Look around the page as there are archived pictures and more information about the owls.


There are several Eagle cams in California. I think the one below came from the Pelican Harbor CamThere is a Channel Island Forum that has a great deal of information about the eagles. I found four cams in the area. The Pelican Harbor listed above, West End Cam, Two Harbors Nest Cam, and the Seal Rocks Cam (which was off air when I posted this).

I know there are many more cams available, but these few will allow you to spend hours of enjoyment. I'll try to post more later and would love to know about your favorite cams.

No comments: